Travels with MaryE

Most things I love best are about good light and good timing. That's where the adventures start. Don't be in no hurry here. Here you'll find a little bit about bluegrass music, fox hunting, life on the road, time on the mountain, and a whole lot about other things, too.

Friday, July 07, 2006

I Should Have Had My Camera

I bet you've said that before, too -- "I should have had my camera." Folks who know me are aware that I usually _do_ have my camera along with me when I leave the house. But not today. A long trip to the dump and then shopping made it twilight when I finally came up the steep gravel road to the house -- and I caught my breath as not one, not two....four!!! deer stepped out in front of me as I rounded the curve to my sister's house. What a gorgeous sight in the day's fading light. I should have had my camera.

But sometimes it's nice _not_ to have a camera along. You experience things first-hand instead of flying into work mode, thinking about light and shadow, angles and composition.

So I had no choice but to experience that fleeting moment of a narrow road filled with deer naked so to speak. Some things are meant to be enjoyed without the intrusion of a camera - or of other folks even.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right that sometimes it's nice NOT to have a camera. I went to a folk music concert not too many years ago, in a small club with about 60 other folks. A totally acoustic show, two or three musicians and their instruments, and when I say totally acoustic I mean there was no P.A. Well, somewhere in the middle of a rather intense and dramatic moment, there was a loud shutter click and a flash of light that totally broke the mood of the song. After the show one of the singers said to me,
"Sometimes taking a photograph to capture the moment actually *ruins* the moment."
And I'm right there with him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home