Travels with MaryE

Most things I love best are about good light and good timing. That's where the adventures start. Don't be in no hurry here. Here you'll find a little bit about bluegrass music, fox hunting, life on the road, time on the mountain, and a whole lot about other things, too.

Friday, July 07, 2006

I Should Have Had My Camera

I bet you've said that before, too -- "I should have had my camera." Folks who know me are aware that I usually _do_ have my camera along with me when I leave the house. But not today. A long trip to the dump and then shopping made it twilight when I finally came up the steep gravel road to the house -- and I caught my breath as not one, not two....four!!! deer stepped out in front of me as I rounded the curve to my sister's house. What a gorgeous sight in the day's fading light. I should have had my camera.

But sometimes it's nice _not_ to have a camera along. You experience things first-hand instead of flying into work mode, thinking about light and shadow, angles and composition.

So I had no choice but to experience that fleeting moment of a narrow road filled with deer naked so to speak. Some things are meant to be enjoyed without the intrusion of a camera - or of other folks even.

2 Comments:

At 12:49 pm, Blogger Mikie said...

MaryE,

I can identify with this same situation. When I began attending the Doyle Denton festival in the mid 80's, I took tons of photos of the stage shows.

Then, when I got home, unless I got the pics developed, I forgot what happened at the fest.

Setting up the shot, waiting for the right moment, all take you to another plane that deprives the photographer of the moment in time, other than the finished shot.

That's one reason why I like to see good photography, but I feel for the poor soul that has to shoot it.

Thanks for your work and your writing.

 
At 10:48 pm, Anonymous Mary Katherine said...

You're right that sometimes it's nice NOT to have a camera. I went to a folk music concert not too many years ago, in a small club with about 60 other folks. A totally acoustic show, two or three musicians and their instruments, and when I say totally acoustic I mean there was no P.A. Well, somewhere in the middle of a rather intense and dramatic moment, there was a loud shutter click and a flash of light that totally broke the mood of the song. After the show one of the singers said to me,
"Sometimes taking a photograph to capture the moment actually *ruins* the moment."
And I'm right there with him.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home