Travels with MaryE

Most things I love best are about good light and good timing. That's where the adventures start. Don't be in no hurry here. Here you'll find a little bit about bluegrass music, fox hunting, life on the road, time on the mountain, and a whole lot about other things, too.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Reaching Out

Okay, so I'm going to talk about something you all know about, but it doesn't hurt to give a little reminder. Over in the bluegrass world one of the best (albeit unsung) mandolinists just took his own life. His many friends are wondering now what they might have done, wishing they'd called him or gone to see him. But we get wrapped up in our own lives, especially this busy holiday time of year and it can be really difficult to discern behavioral changes, even in those we're really close to (maybe especially in those we're really close to). Okay, okay, I won't preach here. I'll just ask (having survived one pretty bad bout with depression myself about 9 years ago, with the help of some very good friends) everyone who takes the time to read this to remember that there are a lot of folks all around us who are having a difficult time coping with the overwhelming grip of depression. One thing we can do is to keep our eyes and ears open and take the time to reach out to those we think may be struggling. Pay them a visit or give them a call, invite them out for a cup of coffee or a walk in the woods, or over to pick some music.

Maybe you'll find you were wrong - maybe you'll never know. But maybe, just maybe you'll help that person feel more positive and help that person realize that he/she really is important to others. It may make all the difference. Whenever I suspect that someone is having a hard time walking through life I try to get them out for a walk and then tell them about my own bout with depression, how I was lucky enough to realize that I was in trouble and got myself to a doctor, got on some medication, and had friends to help me through the hard times. Thankfully that lasted only a few weeks, and within six months I was off the medication and working on dealing with my issues without the aid of a pill. I like that, but maybe my bout was just a mild one. I chose to try to modify my behavior. But I still have those days.....I just try really hard to think with a broader perspective these days, not in absolutes....think like tomorrow will surely be better.

I like this life. I hope you like yours, too. And especially during this holiday season when so many people are suffering, miserable and feeling REALLY alone and unloved, reach out and touch someone, reach out and let them know how much you care about them. Hug your momma and daddy and tell them you love them! Don't give in to fear. Tell them! Take time to listen to what they have to say. And let's all remember to be thankful for all that we have.

Today I am thankful for so many blessings and friends like you are right up there at the top of the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home